The Baca / Douglas Genealogy and Family History Blog

13 May 2011

Historic Socorro Videos

Joel Wigglesworth inherited three historic videos about Socorro, New Mexico. Below is a screen shot of one of those videos:


This photo shows the demolition of the Socorro Courthouse.

Click on the underlined words below to view the three videos:

1. Socorro County Courthouse. According to Joel W.: "This is footage of the Socorro County Courthouse being torn down circa 1939. Socorro county, New Mexico. This film came into my possession about a decade ago, and I decided to post it here for its historical value. The name on the box the reel was in appears to read W.E Mundy, Socorro, New Mexico."

2. Socorro 1.  According to Joel W.: "This film came into my possession about a decade ago, and I decided to post it here for its geneaological and/or historical value. Contains footage of kids playing, misc people, and it appears that people are assembling for a wedding, dance, or party. The name on the box the reel was in reads Pete Gallegos, PO Box 1, Socorro, NM."

3. Socorro 2. According to Joel W.: "This film came into my possession about a decade ago, and I decided to post it here for its geneaological and/or historical value. Contains footage of misc people, some cars, the front of someone's house, and the plaza in Socorro, New Mexico. The name on the box the reel was in reads Pete Gallegos, PO Box 1, Socorro, NM."

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Elaine said...

The films posted by Joel Wigelsworth are from my family. Pete Gallegos is my grandfather. My uncle Raymond Gallegoshad possession of the films when he accidentally left them in his basement in Lubbock when he moved back to New Mexico. Uncle Raymond is the boy running toward the camera in the second film. We would very much like to have the originals. I can be reached through elaine.debrine@gmail.com
Sincerely,