The Baca / Douglas Genealogy and Family History Blog

10 July 2008

Juan Jose Baca Store and House

Nancy Lopez sent me the photos below of the Juan Jose Baca Store in Socorro, NM. I'm not exactly sure where she got them, but it was probably either the Library of Congress or Denver Public Library sites.





From the Socorro: A Historic Survey:

The Territorial sytle was introduced in New Mexico by the U.S. Army in the construction of their forts and by newly arrived easteners, who were familiar with the Greek Revival style. The influence of the Greek Revival, though it arrived in New Mexico after it had peaked in the East, continued to be used in its indigenous form for the rest of the century. It is still popular as the Territorial Revival style.

In the early Spanish/Mexican period, commercial stores were not separate entites. Business was conducted in a room of the house; eventually, some of these rooms became stores. The Juan Jose Baca store and residence ..., the principal example of this development, has an elaborate overhanging balcony. In the late nineteenth century, it also had a wood false front....

Conron, John P., Socorro: A Historic Survey (Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 1980), p. 13.


The Juan Jose Baca House is still standing. It was used as a pizza parlor and micro-brewery in the early 2000s. The business has since moved.

Juan Jose Baca is not directly related to me, but he may be from the same Baca families that I'm descended from who came to Socorro from Belen in early 1800s.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am familiar with the Juan Jose Baca house because as a little girl my mother took me there. He was my mothers uncle from her mother's side. My grandmother's maiden name was Piedad Baca and she married Alfredo Baca who was chief of police and Deputy sheriff at one time. My mother described what they used to sell in the tiendita. She used to talk about her tio Jose.