The Rio Rancho Library website has links to a number of databases that can be accessed online. Many of them, such as FamilySearch and Rootsweb, can already be accessed without using the library website; while Ancestry.com Library edition can only be be accessed by visiting the library and using their computers. However, there is one database that patrons can access for free through the library website. If you have a Rio Rancho Library card - or even a Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Library card - you can get on to Heritage Quest Online for free.
Although Heritage Quest is not quite as good as Ancestry.com, it does have some good databases. For instance:
* U.S. Census records. You may search certain censuses: 1790 - 1820; 1860-1920; and part of 1930. You may browse any census from 1790-1930.
* Over 22,000 family and local history books.
* Abstracts for over 2,000,000 genealogy and local history articles (you have to pay a fee to get the actual articles.)
* Selected records from the Revolutionary War.
* Freedman's Bank records.
* U.S. Serials Set - memorials, petitions and private relief actions of the U.S. Congress.
Check it out!